Sunday, January 22, 2012

Meal Prep Day 1/22/2012

We got up pretty early and decided to go grocery shopping without the coupons.  It's typically against my system and beliefs but the idea was that the grocery store would be crazy with a 3PM Pats game and we had the Caps on at 12:30 and I would be keeping an eye on my Bruins playing at the same time as the Pats.

We did pretty well with some coupons but we did need to buy a decent amount of fresh items that weren't on sale for this week's meals.  I did get $120.46 worth of groceries for $88.73.  I used 12.15 in coupons this week too.  I realized when I got home I missed $3.00 worth too!

First thing on the prep list was to get that Cider Braised Pork into the crock-pot.
You can't appreciate how delightful a smell this was all day

While putting the pork together, I had to chop up some celery for the recipe.  I just broke down the entire package and put together some snack sized containers of celery sticks that will be eaten this week, since the are already cut up

Try to break down as many ingredients for future use when opening a package of anything

I put together an awesome ginger rice, which I need to tweak and share the recipe!  

I packed up some cereal for the week so we can grab and go in the mornings we have cereal.

2 of 3 days cereal packed, so there's no confusing pouring while sleepy

I had to make a Marinara sauce for the lasagna, turned out really delightful

Mixed up a great marinara sauce with mostly on hand items 


For my last trick I assembled the Butternut Squash Lasagna so that it can just go straight into the oven Monday night.

Butternut Squash Lasagna - I can't wait to put this in the oven!



I was in the kitchen longer than usual today, but I didn't have Hubs on KP duty for most of the day, so I had to do my own dishes!  He's really good at keeping ahead of them so I can just move on with the prep.

All in all, a good day - Pats are headed to the Super Bowl, we had a wonderful dinner and Hubs is finishing the rest of the dishes now.




No comments: