Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Shredded Chicken Filling



So part of the strategy for my meal prep day is to utilize the slow cooker, slow roast in the oven or make a big batch of something that can kind of just go in the kitchen for a bit while I do all the other stuff that I do for the week and then after I'm done cleaning up - just like that I have a meal!  Well in theory that's what happens.

Also - I have a friend that I often refer to as a crockpot pusher (strangely - I saw her refer to herself as one on the old facebook the other day) she's always telling everyone how great the crock-pot is.  I always saw the appeal in theory.  Hubs and I both work long days and have long commutes.  This friend of mine has two kids in the mix too, so I can see why she loves the darn thing.  However I don't know if I'm just a crock-pot reject but I always seemed to feel like every-time I used it it was a big fat pile of crock-pot fail.  The recipes I found were full of processed and convenience foods or foods I didn't like.  Being a giant fan of America's Test Kitchen I anxiously awaited their crock pot book: Slow Cooker Revolution. Does it have more steps than the standard crock pot book?  Yes, but you know what? I've not had a bad thing out of it.  I can't say that about most of the crock pot books I've looked through or used.  So with that I give this ATK book a hearty thumbs up!  

In this book there is section called Enchiladas, Tacos & More.  Starts off with very basic filling recipes for chicken, pork and beef.  Then it gives all kinds of applications to use said fillings in.  So we figured since it was boneless skinless chicken (breasts & thighs!) that this would be a great week to try this out and help us to wean off my latest obsession Chipotle 

Yields: 8 servings 

Ingredients
  • 1 onion minced (or 1 cup frozen chopped onions)
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded, & minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
  • 11/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Microwave onion, chili powder, oil, jalapeno, garlic, coriander and cumin in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (about five minutes)

Transfer to slow cooker.

Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker.  Season chicken with salt & pepper, add to slow cooker and coat evenly with the sauce mixture.  






 Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low.

Transfer chicken to large bowl, let cool slightly, then shred chicken with two forks. 




 Cover bowl to keep warm. Let braising liquid settle for five minutes and skim the fat with a large spoon.

Toss shredded chicken with 1 cup of braising liquid, add more liquid as needed to keep chicken moist and flavorful.  Stir in lime juice and season with salt & pepper to taste.



This was great.  We immediately used it in burritos that night and used some in burrito bowl fashion for lunches for the week.

We even served it up take out style!




Burrito "Bowls" for lunch


And still 3 cups of chicken left to go into my freezer for meals to be planned later!





3 comments:

CrunchyMetro Mom said...

The pusher says: SOUNDS YUMMY. :-)

Can't wait to try it over here...since I know that at least those of us above the age of 5 will totally eat that.

Amy said...

You making me hungry.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.