Sunday, October 9, 2011

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

So usually when boneless skinless chicken breast is on sale for $1.99, I jump at it.  $1.99/lb is the price for packages of 3 lbs or more.  Again it's just the two of us, so it's a great opportunity to stock up.  When we were looking through our freezer to see what we had on hand, I realized we were low on chicken.  We had NONE!  That's not a situation I like to be in.  Chicken cooks up quickly and is versatile and it's a lean protein.   I always buy at least 1 package at that price....this week I bought three.
It's worth noting that this is never a price I would get at BJ's and I just need to stock up when it's on sale at Stop & Shop


What was I thinking?


I was thinking - you can't beat that price and there's room in my freezer.

The first thing I did when I got these home was to get out my freezer bags and my kitchen sharpie marker.  But I'm from the Boston Area...so you can just imagine how I say "SHAHPEE" Also my trusty kitchen scale.  I love this thing and use it often, but moreso on days I stock up on meat.

I had nearly 10lbs of chicken.

I diced 1.5 lbs for the dinner I was making in the crockpot on Sunday.
I diced 1.5 lbs and marinated it for Tuesday's dinner
I cut up 2 lbs into 8 portions of chicken breast and bagged them in portions of 4 each (great for grilling, marinating or baking)
I sliced up 1 lb into small strips for an appetizer I intend to make soon
I sliced up 1 lb into 4 cutlets (great for chicken parmesan or any breaded cutlet)
I diced the remaining 3 lbs and bagged them in 3 1lb portions (great for simmer sauce meals or casseroles)

It looked a little something like this:



And for $21.66 and about 30 minute with a knife, cutting board, my freezer bags, sharpie marker & my trusty kitchen scale....I have 18 meals worth of chicken portioned out along with portion for a fun app next time I have friends over.

Totally worth it.

No comments: