Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Old Fashioned Meatloaf

Old Fashioned Meatloaf

I'm not a meatloaf fan.  Everyone does it their own way and sometimes it's good, but most times I feel like I would rather go with something else. I remember a LONG time ago my grandmother (l call her Hazel) had found some fancy recipe for meatloaf in a cookbook, which required many ingredients. Hazel was on mission to assemble and try this meatloaf.  She drove my mother crazy trying to hunt down the ingredients.  I think my mom and I called it the most expensive meatloaf in the world.  I don't even think I ever got to try it.  I have a lot of her cookbooks now and it makes me smile to find her notes in the margins.  I'm hoping as I go through more of these cookbooks, I find the expensive meatloaf just so I can give it a whirl.

  Hubs enjoys meatloaf and this seemed like a good way to go and worked well for prep day.  I was hoping for the mashed potatoes to be the star, but I can't lie this meatloaf stole the show.  I found a recipe in The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook

I made some tweaks and went on my way!  This was a really nice and moist meatloaf, flavorful and not swimming in grease.  Reheated great for lunch and we are freezing the rest in meatloaf sandwich portions!


Old Fashioned Meatloaf

Printable Recipe


Glaze:
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Meatloaf:
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Mix glaze and set to the side

Line 13x9 baking pan with foil; set aside.  Heat oven to 350 degrees

Heat oil in medium skillet.  Add onion and garlic until softened (about five minutes) Set aside to cool

Onions and Garlic - Always a good start!



Mix eggs with the milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, thyme and hot sauce.  Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl along with the panko breadcrumbs and cooked onion mixture.  Mix until evenly blended and the meat mixture does not stick to bowl.  Add milk if necessary.

Panko is a girls best friend

Place meat mixture onto work surface and shape into 9x5 inch loaf.  Place in prepared baking pan.  Brush with half of the glaze.

Pre - Oven


Place loaf in oven and pull it out in about 45 minutes and reglaze.  Place back in oven until loaf register 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, about another 15 minutes.

Post-Oven!

Allow loaf to cool for 20 minutes. If desired simmer any remaining glaze on stovetop and serve with meatloaf








2 comments:

Nettie0523 said...

My husband made meatloaf last week. Only he was just putting the ingredients in the bowl of beef without reading the instructions. He added the brown sugar for the glaze right into the meatloaf. SHUDDER!!!

Heather said...

I bet that was interesting! At least he was making dinner? :)